Illusion Vale

A place where writers go to make their visions come alive.

HomeHomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Death Sucks: A Look Back at 2016

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
The House of Ainsley
Keeper of the Dark Mirror

Male Number of posts : 1996

PostSubject: Death Sucks: A Look Back at 2016   Tue May 23, 2017 10:50 am

We lost a lot of our shining stars back in 2016.  (Of course, we lose a lot of our shining stars every year, it seems, but that's not the point....)

I remember when I read the Actuarial strip frpm xkcd, it got me thinking about Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Peter Mayhew, James Earl Jones, David Prowse and all the rest, realizing how they're getting up there in years and wondering which one we were going to lose next.  "James Earl Jones will probably be next," I thought.  "Black men tend to die a bit younger than everyone else does for some reason, and women tend to outlive men by a pretty large margin, so Carrie Fisher will probably be the last one from A New Hope's cast to go."

How wrong I was.

And as if that wasn't bad enough, Carrie Fisher's death led to Debbie Reynold's death in rapid succession.  I guess you really can die from a broken heart.  Sad

David Bowie's loss was another kick in the teeth for me.  He had some pretty rough roots, but he certainly got the last laugh on the thug who whacked him in the head when he a kid (which is how Bowie got his unique gaze with the permanently dilated eye); David Bowie has been a household name for years, and that thug has been lost to obscurity.

It's pretty obvious why Bowie was destined to become famous:  The man was magic in everything he did, and he had a certain magnetism to him.  Hell, he could make a trucker question his own sexuality!  But then Bowie got the Big C.  He was dying, he knew it and, like a true artist, he composed and performed his swan song "Lazarus" as a poignant farewell.  Sad

Alan Rickman and Gene Wilder were a couple more kicks in the teeth, naturally.  Willy Wonka and Hans Gruber/The Metatron/Severus Snape will not be forgotten any time soon.

I'm glad that John Glenn got to live for so many years, but it still stings a bit to lose such a legendary astronaut.  We just lost Neil Armstrong four or five years ago, and though his achievement may have eclipsed Glenn's own (as orbiting Earth, though a remarkable task, still pales before the peril of landing on the moon), astronauts like Glenn did pave the way for astronauts like Armstrong.  And it'll be a dark day when we finally lose Buzz Aldrin (who is famed not only for the moon landing but for defending it from conspiracy nutjobs as well).

Comic book artist Steve Dillon was another figure of note for me; I have the entire collection of the Preacher comic books in paperback, and he drew most of it.

Abe Vigoda...yeah, I watched some of his sitcoms when I was coming up, and he was great in The Godfather.  But what got my attention was the time when some goofball erroneously reported that he had died, and that became a running joke for all the years since.  Vigoda even referred to it in a comedy sketch or two.  Sometimes, I would check on abevigoda.com (which was created at some point during all the hooplah about Vigoda's fake death).  It was in my Favorites, so sometimes I'd visit the site, and his status was always "Alive".  And then January 26, 2016 came around, Vigoda died for real this time, and the website changed his status to "Dead".  And it'll never say "Alive" again.  Sad

And one death which received little attention was Michael Massee, felled by stomach cancer in the October of 2016.  But I paid attention (even though I was about a month late in hearing the news).  One of Massee's more well-known roles was that of the violent, drug-addicted thug Funboy in The Crow.  But that movie also earned him his claim to infamy: He was the actor who accidentally shot and killed Brandon Lee while the cast and crew were filming the home invasion scene.  Though no charges were brought against Massee, the emotional trauma of killing Lee compelled Massee to quit acting for a year or two, and he was still reluctant to speak about that tragedy for the rest of his life.

And on a more lighthearted note, even though Stormin' Norman passed on four years ago (and thus didn't make this list), a bunch of people finally chipped in last year to get rid of the cheap, flat, simple Government headstone and give Schwarzkopf the glorious headstone that he deserves.

So which deaths in 2016 touched you the hardest?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The House of Ainsley
Keeper of the Dark Mirror

Male Number of posts : 1996

PostSubject: Re: Death Sucks: A Look Back at 2016   Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:42 am

...and now Adam "Batman" West is no longer with us...him and Mary Tyler Moore, Chuck Berry, the best James Bond ever (yes, I like Roger Moore's Bond more than I like Sean Connery's Bond, so sue me), that one sheriff who helped James Bond out in a few movies, Private Hudson from Aliens, Perry Mason's legal secretary, Judge Wapner, Chancellor Sutler from V for Vendetta, the guy who gave us The Silence of the Lambs, Joanie Cunningham from Happy Days, Captain Apollo from the original Battlestar Galactica series, Cuba Gooding Junior's Dad, the kindly old guy that Robin Tunney beat the crap out of in Niagara Niagara (more popularly known as "that old guy who probably starred in every Quentin Tarantino movie imaginable"), one of the gals who sang that "We are Family" song that my Aunt Kris couldn't help but play every time our family got together for Christmas, the world's second-oldest living person on record (117 years old...wow), Angela Landsbury's little brother, a horse, a killer whale and a bunch of musicians and pro athletes that I know nothing about.

Crap. Adam West is dead.

Has the Methuselah Foundation cracked the formula for the Everlasting Youth Serum yet? bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spirit of the Tiger
Valian
Valian

Male Number of posts : 270

PostSubject: Re: Death Sucks: A Look Back at 2016   Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:24 am

I need to add one more sad death to your list.  My grandmother passed away in November 2016.  Granted she was close to 100 when she passed away and had been fading for at least a few years before then.  That didn't make her death any easier to handle.  She was a kind grandma that always had cookies ready when we I came to visit.  Most of all I will remember spending most of my summers as a young boy with her in the Black Hills of South Dakota.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Death Sucks: A Look Back at 2016   

Back to top Go down

Death Sucks: A Look Back at 2016
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1