Illusion Vale

A place where writers go to make their visions come alive.

HomeHomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

And Now, the Current Time and Temperature...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
The House of Ainsley
Keeper of the Dark Mirror

Male Number of posts : 1996

PostSubject: And Now, the Current Time and Temperature...   Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:48 pm

...on Mars!

http://marsweather.com/

So, you know, if you plan on visiting the Red Planet this weekend, you might get an idea of how the weather will be when you arrive.  Wink

Believe it or not, the surface temperature of Mars can actually reach around 80 degrees Fahrenheit (or 27 degrees Celsius/Centigrade) near the equator during the Martian summertime.  So human life surviving on Mars will be possible once we get over three big, ponderous obstacles: 1) an apparent lack of water on or under the Martian surface, 2) a lack of breathable atmosphere on Mars, and 3) the (approximate) two years that it would take our present spacecraft to travel from Earth to Mars.

But as soon as we can figure out ways to get around those obstacles, pack a good tent because we're going to friggin' Mars!  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The House of Ainsley

PostSubject: Re: And Now, the Current Time and Temperature...   Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:45 am

Speaking of the Red Planet, Tiger, isn't this that Red Planet cockpit-style arcade game that you used to tell me about?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spirit of the Tiger
Valian
Valian

Male Number of posts : 270

PostSubject: Re: And Now, the Current Time and Temperature...   Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:39 am

Golden Drakon was the one who first told me about it. I played a few times and I was okay at it, but Drakon was better. Ask him about of Speck-o-rama.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The House of Ainsley

PostSubject: Re: And Now, the Current Time and Temperature...   Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:38 am

Oh, that's right!  GD was the one who was talking about Speck-o-rama and Red Planet in general, wasn't he?  My mistake.  But you should read the comments under those videos.  People are still talking about Specks.  Smile

(And I don't know about you, but I think I'd like to go the slow-but-steady route if I ever got to play Red Planet.  You know me; I'm the guy who's playing Zangief when everyone else is playing Guile and Chun Li.  So how good are those Tarantulas and Roadblocks?)

By the way, Mars apparently has clouds.  That would suggest that Mars has water somewhere, wouldn't it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spirit of the Tiger
Valian
Valian

PostSubject: Re: And Now, the Current Time and Temperature...   Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:07 am

Specks were the fastest and lightest armored racers in the game.  Speed and agility were their only true weapons.  The reason they were called Specks was because when you crashed into the wall or another vehicle a speck was all that was left.  Very Happy

Tarantulas were very fast for their size.  During the game you had a number of turbo boosts you could use.  Depending on the vehicle you could use 1 to 3 boosts at a time.  The more you used the faster you could go.  The Tarantula could use three turbo boosts at one time, giving it speed to catch up and run over even fast racers.  The Road-Block as its name implies was just made to destroy or stop other racers from winning.  Zero speed and agility, but weapons and armor out the wazoo. A Speck would run into a Road-Block and the Road-Block would need only to turn on its windshield wipers to get it off.

Golden Drakon and I thought about entering a tournament using a pair of Road-Blocks. When people would say their is no way you can win with those heavy cumbersome vehicles. GD would respond in true Golden Drakon smartass style, "We know that we can't win. Our job is to see how many people won't win with us."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The House of Ainsley

PostSubject: Re: And Now, the Current Time and Temperature...   Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:02 am

Yeah, that sounds like our buddy, all right. Very Happy

If I recall, there used to be a Virtual World at Union Station in St. Louis, but they closed it down back around the late 90's. I don't recall them having Red Planet, but I did get to play Dactyl Nightmare a few times. It was a bit trippy (and nowhere near Red Planet's par, to be honest). Even that arcade game Cyber Sled (which we used to play pretty often at Aladdin's Castle) put Dactyl Nightmare to shame, though of course it didn't have that VR visor which looked around as you turned your head. Like I said, it was trippy. And that stupid pterodactyl dropped me so many times. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoldenDrakon
Weaver of Tales

Male Number of posts : 1500

PostSubject: Re: And Now, the Current Time and Temperature...   Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:20 am

Spirit of the Tiger wrote:
Golden Drakon was the one who first told me about it.  I played a few times and I was okay at it, but Drakon was better.  Ask him about of Speck-o-rama.

Oh geez! I just nearly have a nostalgia overdose!

That was such a good time in life... *sigh*

"I can fire your blood with passion or leave you sick with bile and revulsion. I raise heroes from the masses and send them to lay low kings and warlords. I will take you to exotic, far-away places, only to leave you in darkness and dispair. I can show you wonderous treasures beyond your wildest dreams, and terrors to freeze your soul."

"Who am I? I'm your StoryTeller."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spirit of the Tiger
Valian
Valian

PostSubject: Re: And Now, the Current Time and Temperature...   Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:53 am

You know if I dig hard enough I probably have a copy of the Speck-o-rama lying around somewhere mixed in with many other papers I have buried away from my Malmstrom days.  If I do find it do you want a copy GD?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoldenDrakon
Weaver of Tales

PostSubject: Re: And Now, the Current Time and Temperature...   Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:31 am

Naw, I'm good. Besides, I have what I need seared into my brain. Smile

"I can fire your blood with passion or leave you sick with bile and revulsion. I raise heroes from the masses and send them to lay low kings and warlords. I will take you to exotic, far-away places, only to leave you in darkness and dispair. I can show you wonderous treasures beyond your wildest dreams, and terrors to freeze your soul."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
The House of Ainsley

PostSubject: Re: And Now, the Current Time and Temperature...   Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:01 am

That sounds traumatic. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spirit of the Tiger
Valian
Valian

PostSubject: Re: And Now, the Current Time and Temperature...   Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:25 am

It was pretty traumatic for Golden Drakon.  I found my copy of Speck-of-rama and as I was looking over things GD died many times.  I will admit that most of those deaths were due to him crashing.  However yours truly was able to score a few kills on Golden Drakon without him destroying my mech once.  There take that Mr. Drakon.   Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoldenDrakon
Weaver of Tales

PostSubject: Re: And Now, the Current Time and Temperature...   Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:17 am

Spirit of the Tiger wrote:
It was pretty traumatic for Golden Drakon.  I found my copy of Speck-of-rama and as I was looking over things GD died many times.  I will admit that most of those deaths were due to him crashing.  However yours truly was able to score a few kills on Golden Drakon without him destroying my mech once.  There take that Mr. Drakon.   Razz

*cough* youcoppedoutandwastheonlyguynotinaspeck *cough*

And you are misleading. Everyone died multiple times in that game, including you. Hell in the time that I made one run, everyone had crashed at least once. (including me :p )

Back to top Go down
View user profile
The House of Ainsley

PostSubject: Re: And Now, the Current Time and Temperature...   Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:56 am

Dadgummit, why do I always miss the cool get-togethers? I could totally crash one of these Specks into a wall about two-dozen times. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: And Now, the Current Time and Temperature...   

Back to top Go down

And Now, the Current Time and Temperature...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1