Illusion Vale

A place where writers go to make their visions come alive.

HomeHomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Because I can't think of anywhere else to put this...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
The House of Ainsley
Keeper of the Dark Mirror

Male Number of posts : 2005

PostSubject: Because I can't think of anywhere else to put this...   Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:25 pm

Further proof that body modification can get rather insane:

Elf ears

Eep. Shocked

Elves are cool and all, but...eep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wraith
Lady Illusion

Female Number of posts : 2116

PostSubject: Re: Because I can't think of anywhere else to put this...   Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:19 am

Freeeeky......

Whatever happened to the days when you could get plastic moulds for your fancy dressup party and be happy with it?

View user profile
The House of Ainsley

PostSubject: Re: Because I can't think of anywhere else to put this...   Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:06 pm

I'm more a fan of latex ear extensions myself. Cool

...largely because they look fairly realistic and they don't require costly and unsettling surgical alteration. Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The House of Ainsley

PostSubject: Re: Because I can't think of anywhere else to put this...   Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:32 am

I can't think of anywhere else to put this, either.

I just tried to watch Conan's prayer to Crom on YouTube, only to get a message saying "This video contains content from NBC Universal, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

I am getting really sick of YouTube's rampant and aggressively proactive copyrightophobia, by the way....

I tried changing my country in my profile--even trying such nations as Zimbabwe and Yemen--thinking that I could fool the Russians and nail one of these supposed countries where NBC holds no sway, but to no avail. Saints forbid that we should watch one of the most epic speeches in all cinematic history without paying through the nose for it...eh, NBC?

So, to Wraith and any of our other non-United-Statesican friends, what happens when you click that linkie there?

Just wondering. :?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wraith
Lady Illusion

Female Number of posts : 2116

PostSubject: Re: Because I can't think of anywhere else to put this...   Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:48 am

LoL.... I can play it Very Happy

View user profile
The House of Ainsley

PostSubject: Re: Because I can't think of anywhere else to put this...   Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:04 am

*sigh* Sad

"Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad, why we fought or why we died...."

Yeah, it's just not the same. *double sigh* Sad

At least YouTube loosens the shackles enough to let me listen to the kickin' rad climax music...at least. Razz

Back to top Go down
View user profile
The House of Ainsley

PostSubject: Re: Because I can't think of anywhere else to put this...   Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:27 am

Hey, Wraith and Shadow. While you're listening to the Forbidden YouTube Clip, maybe you can settle something for me.

Does he say "few stood against many" or "two stood against many"? Because I distinctly remember him saying "few", but we have all these knuckleheads on YouTube and IMDb quoting it as "two".

And yet it was Conan, Subotai and the wizard who made that big stand against Thulsa Doom's army in the Battle of the Mounds. (No, Valeria's ghost doesn't count. Razz ) So either I should have flunked arithmetic back in grade school or that would be three who "stood against many," not two.

And if I am indeed correct, then I need to get on these sites and seriously bawl some fools out for allowing that misquote to flourish like that.... Neutral

(lol...Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sandahl Bergman had to do their own stunts in Conan the Barbarian because the crew couldn't find any acceptable body doubles to do their stunts for them! It must suck to be all big and athletic and muscular, huh? Razz )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The House of Ainsley

PostSubject: Re: Because I can't think of anywhere else to put this...   Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:45 pm

Heeey, what happened to that topic I made about the suit of full plate armor and the morningstar flail? You know, the suit of armor that costs $3,000, so that's why I titled the topic "Mom, can I borrow $3,000?" o.O

Because I'm completely out of credit card debt as of Monday, and I was wanting to add to it. Sad

Also, proof that the katana, as a weapon, is overrated:

...of course, that's why the Japanese devised the Iaijutsu swordfighting style in the first place. To those not familiar with it, Iaijutsu is a weapon-style martial art in which the katana or other sword is drawn from its scabbard only when striking. An iaijutsuka is trained to draw the katana, strike with the blade and sheathe it again, all in one fluid motion. The purpose of doing that is to protect the katana with the scabbard, even in the thick of battle; even as far back as feudal Japan, the Japanese knew that the razor-sharp katana can easily be damaged or broken by impacts with other weapons, so in Iaijutsu the katana's scabbard--and not its blade--is used for blocking and parrying, and the hilt of the katana, when sheathed, gives better grip and leverage to defend with the scabbard effectively. Even back then, wooden scabbards were cheap, but katana blades were not.

Japanese swordsmiths have for long taken pride in folding the steel hundreds of times to make one katana. But, as that video demonstrates, a European longsword (which is far simpler to forge than a katana is) can break a katana and continue the fight quite capably. Nations such as Spain and Germany have been praised for their smelting and weaponsmithing for centuries, and some people do assert that Europe has always been blessed with bountiful iron lodes and good iron ore that is rather pure and strong, while Japan's countryside has nowhere near as many iron mines and iron lodes, and those lodes are typically plagued with poor-quality iron and impurities such as carbon, nickel and mica.

So I guess we should give the Japanese weaponsmiths credit for doing what they did with what little they had. But katanas are still overrated. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The House of Ainsley

PostSubject: Re: Because I can't think of anywhere else to put this...   Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:56 pm

Also, I must have overlooked that "$3,000" topic, because there it is about half a page down. Let me go fix that right quick.... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Because I can't think of anywhere else to put this...   

Back to top Go down

Because I can't think of anywhere else to put this...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Illusion Vale :: Elfsong Tavern :: Common Room-
Jump to: