Illusion Vale
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Illusion Vale

A place where writers go to make their visions come alive.

HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapter Zero: New Gold for Old Bones

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
AuthorMessage
GoldenDrakon
Weaver of Tales
GoldenDrakon

Male Number of posts : 1586

Chapter Zero: New Gold for Old Bones - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter Zero: New Gold for Old Bones   Chapter Zero: New Gold for Old Bones - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 24, 2019 1:54 am

Karnoz peeked through the slats of the wagon, watching the scene unfold with sharp eyes and good grief, was that a chest right next to him?

Seeing his newfound allies striking down the rival guildsmen, the watch seem dumbfounded for the moment.

"We have no quarrel with the Watch!" he shouted, but not revealing himself. "You are outnumbered and surrounded! Leave the docks, and no harm will befall you tonight lest you force our hand!"

Karnoz truly hoped that they would not have to fight the watch members, not that he cared a whit for their lives, but as ever, Karnoz was a long term thinker, even for a shithole like Kurvoss. I frightened guard was far more useful than a martyred one, and should this patrol wander elsewhere, they could still cause much trouble for other rival guilds members rioting in the town. On top of all that, he didn't want to waste the time killing them when he had so little to spare.

[color=cyan] As time permits, let the scene unfold. Hopefully, the guard beats it and I can have a chat with the Corbies when it's safe. No Binger or Taxman will survive the encounter, regardless. If possible, check and open the chest next to me.[/cyan]
Back to top Go down
The House of Ainsley
Keeper of the Dark Mirror
The House of Ainsley

Male Number of posts : 2312

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Zero: New Gold for Old Bones   Chapter Zero: New Gold for Old Bones - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2019 11:40 am

(Karnoz - untrained Intimidate check against Town Watch Lieutenant (DC 16, +2 bonus for Bluff synergy): Failure (8))

Over the din and clamor, and underscored by volleys of Corbie crossbow bolts hissing through the night's riverborne breeze, a woman's pitched voice snapped in reply.  "The Watch's blades are sharp, and our resolve is as steeled as our shields!  We'll not leave until this riot is quelled, dog!  Yield, flee or fall to us!"

But from his place behind the battered wagon, Karnoz peeked beneath and noticed that the guards seemed to spare the Nevergreen Bingers from their ire; one Watchman circled about an embattled Taxman, not only pinching that Taxman between himself and his lieutenant but protecting a gravely wounded Binger with his own body as well.  And the brutish half-orc fighting at the Watch's side was surely no Watchman himself; was he a sellsword, or was he an enforcer for the Brass Rubles?  These signs and hints suggested loudly enough that this particular band of Town Watchmen were almost certainly from Kurvoss' North Quarter, and thus were squarely in the coffers of Burgomaster Riyalus of Pochva, that craven and desperate snake who would surely stoop to any means to reclaim what political power his rivals had swindled and bullied from him in recent years.

Had Burgomaster Riyalus, nestled in his lofty tower, somehow heard of Yorgo's treachery against Arno Hennbauer and the message delivered from a noble house over a great many leagues?  Was he himself aiding Yorgo's escape through the Nevergreen Bingers?

Such speculations would need to wait, given the hew and cry against Binger, Taxman, Brass Ruble and Yorgo alike.  Karnoz furtively slinked over to the tumbled merchant chest, picks and tension bar in hand, and Arno crept along behind him.

(Karnoz - Open Lock check (DC 25): Success (27))

Thrusting and twisting his tools inside the brass-plated lock's cylinder with all due haste, Karnoz and his intuition knew exactly how each tumbler in that lock should be coaxed and prodded.  The banded lid promptly rose away in the rogue's black-gloved hand, laying bare to the stars a thin layer of Desyatka coins which served as the bed for eight amberglass bottles of Fioriallian white wine — Campi di Zaffiro by name — and a thick scrollcase carved from ashwood and sealed with a tin cap on either end...not a bad find, as things seemed, but understandably fated to disappear to the many prying hands of Kurvoss as soon as the wharf's roustabouts and hired vigilantes had been cut down or driven to flight by the turmoil which Arno had seeded.

(Karnoz may take a round to close the chest and take it with him (and may relock the chest as a free action, if he wishes), or he may save himself the extra eight pounds of Encumbrance by taking a round or two longer to scoop out some or all of the contents and rifle them into his pouches and pockets.  However...)

Chapter Zero: New Gold for Old Bones - Page 12 Hourglass
Yorgo casts off in 10 Rounds.

Chapter Zero: New Gold for Old Bones - Page 12 MapKarnoz053

Karnoz >
Back to top Go down
GoldenDrakon
Weaver of Tales
GoldenDrakon

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Zero: New Gold for Old Bones   Chapter Zero: New Gold for Old Bones - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2019 6:20 am

Karnoz cursed as the battle he did not want suddenly broke out. Even the lucrative discovery did little to quell his foul mood.

"We do not have time for this..." he hissed to Hennbauer, even as he slipped the scroll case into one of his pockets and relocked the chest.

"We will skirt around to the left and trust the Corbies to kill everyone behind us." he said, even as he crouched low towards the pile of stacked barrels behind him, dragging the chest with him. Staying hidden, Karnoz quickly stashed the chest in with the other junk and then made to bolt around the house to his left and down the street, hopefully leaving the battle behind him.
Back to top Go down
The House of Ainsley
The House of Ainsley

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Zero: New Gold for Old Bones   Chapter Zero: New Gold for Old Bones - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2019 8:54 pm

(Karnoz takes the scrollcase.  Judging by the subtle sounds inside, there is indeed a scroll or some other form of paper item inside, possibly two.)

(How far Karnoz gets depends on if he's walking, hustling or running.  Presently, Karnoz just did a full action for taking the chest (even if only temporarily) and he's lugging it along while trying to avoid undue notice.  So he's considered to be walking for this round, which, if I'm following your instructions right, would place Karnoz and Arno here:)

Chapter Zero: New Gold for Old Bones - Page 12 MapKarnoz054

(I really need to come up with some better Elevation markers than the ones that I use for flying creatures....)

(Gametable's ruler says that that movement's distance is actually 32 feet, but I'm not going to fret over two feet.  So that would be a good spot for Karnoz to sling the chest up onto the stacks of barrels and other merchandise; maybe there it'll elude other people's attention, whereas dumping the chest atop the Binger's corpse might accomplish quite the opposite, as Karnoz would surely know.  "Okay, we beat back the Taxmen!  Hey, where's Fred?  Oh, here's Fred!  Fred's dead!  And it looks like the damned fool was trying to make off with this chest when some Taxie shanked him!  Oh, well, Fred was a jerk anyway.  And now, it's our chest!  Ha ha HA!")

(Have you any corrections to this?)
Back to top Go down
GoldenDrakon
Weaver of Tales
GoldenDrakon

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Zero: New Gold for Old Bones   Chapter Zero: New Gold for Old Bones - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 29, 2019 2:19 am

Corrections: I was slinking back and stashing the chest in the stuff that is behind and to the left of Karnoz...they look like tan barrels or some such but I can't really tell. Then full sprint up and around the building just next to dead Fred, so as to avoid sight and encounter as much as possible.

That help?
Back to top Go down
The House of Ainsley
The House of Ainsley

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Zero: New Gold for Old Bones   Chapter Zero: New Gold for Old Bones - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 29, 2019 2:28 am

Oh, you mean this cargo stuff right here?

Chapter Zero: New Gold for Old Bones - Page 12 MapKarnoz055

That slight detour to stash the chest in the big mound of pottery is going to put Karnoz and Arno right around here.  How does that sound?

Chapter Zero: New Gold for Old Bones - Page 12 MapKarnoz056
Back to top Go down
The House of Ainsley
The House of Ainsley

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Zero: New Gold for Old Bones   Chapter Zero: New Gold for Old Bones - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 29, 2019 3:45 am

And if Karnoz makes all due haste (though this may be pushing it to the limit...):

Chapter Zero: New Gold for Old Bones - Page 12 MapKarnoz057

What say you? Smile
Back to top Go down
GoldenDrakon
Weaver of Tales
GoldenDrakon

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Zero: New Gold for Old Bones   Chapter Zero: New Gold for Old Bones - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 29, 2019 4:20 am

Karnoz will run down the right hand side and stealth behind the barrels, sneaking to the end of the row and scope out the scene. If there are Corbies around, hopefully they can give me a scout report as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Zero: New Gold for Old Bones   Chapter Zero: New Gold for Old Bones - Page 12 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapter Zero: New Gold for Old Bones
Page 12 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12