Illusion Vale

A place where writers go to make their visions come alive.

HomeHomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

House of Ainsley: Out-of-Character Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 33  Next
AuthorMessage
S.E.A.M.U.S
Valian
Valian

Male Number of posts : 356

PostSubject: Re: House of Ainsley: Out-of-Character Discussion   Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:45 pm

Wraith wrote:
Hey!!!

*has mighty offended look and murderous glint*

Yes well, at least we don't taste as bad as Humans!

and that shall be your downfall...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoldenDrakon
Weaver of Tales

Male Number of posts : 1502

PostSubject: Re: House of Ainsley: Out-of-Character Discussion   Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:47 pm

What? You gonna give her indigestion after she eats you or somthing???

"I can fire your blood with passion or leave you sick with bile and revulsion. I raise heroes from the masses and send them to lay low kings and warlords. I will take you to exotic, far-away places, only to leave you in darkness and dispair. I can show you wonderous treasures beyond your wildest dreams, and terrors to freeze your soul."

"Who am I? I'm your StoryTeller."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The House of Ainsley
Keeper of the Dark Mirror

Male Number of posts : 2024

PostSubject: Re: House of Ainsley: Out-of-Character Discussion   Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:43 am

Bah...dagnabbit....

In case you don't know (and you probably don't unless you live in or near East Texas), my little town of Canton, Texas--Population 5,000 and some change--has been the host to First Monday Trade Days since the late 1800's. It's basically a huge bazaar where vendors and shoppers come from as far away as Utah--and possibly farther--to set up tents, shop, sell, eat fair food, clog up local traffic lanes and intersections and generally make a mess of Canton, ending on the first Monday of each month and beginning the Tuesday of the week before.

I presently live in my childhood home with my father, who's pretty spry for being in his 60's yet could still use my help around the place. Our house also has a guest cabin which one of the vendors--the owner of the Silver Smith business and regular renter of a booth in Arbor III down on the First Monday grounds--rents whenever she comes in from Houston. Normally Dad and I spent an equal amount of time attending her needs, helping her load and unload stuff from her trailer, buying food, cleaning the place and all. But this weekend, Dad had to work 24-hour shifts both Friday and Monday as a paramedic--his full-time job--on top of being one of the standing paramedics at First Monday, where 400-pound old ladies and diabetics are always running into various medical emergencies while walking or motorscooting around that tent- and booth-infested ten-square-miles-or-so labyrinth that is the First Monday grounds.

So I was the man of the house all weekend...attending Susan's needs, helping her load and unload stuff from her trailer, buying food, cleaning the place....

At least I finally got around to committing Karnoz and Silvea to paper on my end. For Karnoz, I pieced together three assassin guilds which may interest him, if the Triad isn't quite what he's looking for; for Silvea, I just have to fire off a few background questions to Wraith. After these questions, I'll have enough to kick both of you into action; the rest of the details I can fill in later.

Of course, if you two have representative pictures for your pogs, that would be excellent. Wink

Alas, I have to prepare for Third Shift at Chevron now. And it looks like Corwin's ready for another copy-paste as well, so I'll get on this around 8 AM Central tomorrow...or whenever my lazy relief Melissa finally decides to show up....

So apologies for another delay. How I long for the comparatively carefree days of my halcyon Air Force years and early post-Air Force years.... Sad

Also, what happened to the forum colors? It looks all watermelony now. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
S.E.A.M.U.S
Valian
Valian

PostSubject: Re: House of Ainsley: Out-of-Character Discussion   Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:26 pm

GoldenDrakon wrote:
What? You gonna give her indigestion after she eats you or somthing???

nope, isince elves taste better, the Ogres will gobble the elves all first...

"Oh, wot does Ogre eat? Oh, wot does Ogres eat? Dem Humies is lean an sweet, an' Gobbos is gristle an stringy! Dem Elves is thin an' mostly skin, an' Dwarfs is oll blubber an hairy- but don't give us Skaven, oh no more Skaven, cos' dem Skaven dey tastes o' rat!"- 'Excerpt from Very Long Ogre Marching Song
Back to top Go down
View user profile
S.E.A.M.U.S
Valian
Valian

PostSubject: Re: House of Ainsley: Out-of-Character Discussion   Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:00 pm

if ou know portuguese, look up Fabrica De Herois. i think it's much nicer than heromachine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wraith
Lady Illusion

Female Number of posts : 2116

PostSubject: Re: House of Ainsley: Out-of-Character Discussion   Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:47 pm

Unfortunately my friend, i have no knowledge of portugese....

View user profile
S.E.A.M.U.S
Valian
Valian

PostSubject: Re: House of Ainsley: Out-of-Character Discussion   Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:26 pm

all you have to do is play around with it, and you'll figure out what button does what Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The House of Ainsley

PostSubject: Re: House of Ainsley: Out-of-Character Discussion   Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:19 am

That's how I got Fabrica De Herois to work: trial and error (and making little notes as to what Portugese words lead to what functions). Smile

Also, Wraith, the forum colors are bearable now. Thank you. I was about to suggest a dark navy blue background with yellow headers (since blue and yellow go well together), but red on black works too. Smile

Anyway, I'll be back on the site tonight to see if I can get the House of Ainsley campaign rolling a bit faster. Cheers. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wraith
Lady Illusion

PostSubject: Re: House of Ainsley: Out-of-Character Discussion   Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:54 am

LOL, thanks Ainsley. I'm still not happy with it - and I had the navy blue idea too. Though I didn't pair it with yellow.

So, I'll still be playing around and stuff, but hopefully I'll hit on some easier looking stuff Very Happy

View user profile
The House of Ainsley

PostSubject: Re: House of Ainsley: Out-of-Character Discussion   Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:57 pm

Dagnabbit, I have to log off and go to bed now. Sad

I'll finish things up in the morning, including Karnoz's choice of pogs. As for Sylvea, Wraith, go ahead and pick whichever pog you like most:

And looking back through Corwin's old posts on the CoH forums, it occurs me that some details may have changed, are no longer relevant or were erroneous (such as my brain misfiring during a few occasions where I identified Corwin as being Lawful Evil when he was not). As long as the important content of the posts remains unchanged, SEAMUS, feel free to omit or change whatever minor details you see fit as wel copy-paste the original Devils of Tides posts, and I will do the same. Wink

Also, three of his eight sailors (hailing from any Imperial nation--present or former--and brought over from the Saint Alarice) are Stevens, Gaere and Rankin. Did you decide on names for his other five sailors, including the male elf and the two women? Or should I? Or should the Seventh Sanctum name generators? Wink

I've also been having second thoughts about withholding all Experience gain until the end of any particular character's prologue. The idea was to keep player-characters from leveling up in the past when a simpler way of achieving that would be to keep player-characters from leveling up in the past....that is, to award Experience as usual and simply not let the players hit Level 6 (if applicable) until the end of their respective Zero chapters. That should prevent any possible shifts in the campaign's little time continuum ("Corwin picked up Undead Leadership during Chapter Zero? But he was still a flesh-and-blood pirate with no discernible interest in the undead....") while making my bookkeeping easier and giving the players more definite rewards as they go. I will be retroactively awarding all XP awards from any of Corwin's posts that have already been transferred to Illusion Vale, while any XP-awarding posts that have yet to be transferred will have their XP awards posted when the time for me to copy-paste them comes.

Sound good? Smile

Okay, good night now. Sleep
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wraith
Lady Illusion

PostSubject: Re: House of Ainsley: Out-of-Character Discussion   Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:53 pm

LOL, sleep well Ainsley.

As for my POG, I choose number three from the left. The head and neck version. Looks good, thanks!

View user profile
S.E.A.M.U.S
Valian
Valian

PostSubject: Re: House of Ainsley: Out-of-Character Discussion   Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:06 pm

ok, so you're going in and adding the bonus XP stuff to corwins posts? or is it just going to be XP stuff instead of bonus XP stuff?

or i'm confused.

I condensed the posts down a little there... three posts to say i go to the bbazaar and pay the guys to do the job seemed kinda dumb

especially since now we're at post# 41 out of 247.

my main reason for wanting to hurry an post big chunks of "Devil of Tides" is once the other two start actually playing, they'll be having new fun, and we'll still be repeating the stuff we've already done... at our current rate of one post a day, we'd have devils causght up around christmas at best... that and they started their preludes as lvl 5, i still need to work my way up to it from well, "currently" two.

I can see the hostilities between Corwin an Sylvaea already...

Corwin: your sister, is she available? an a fine lusty wench she be...

Sylvaea: SHES A GHOUL!

Corwin: So?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
S.E.A.M.U.S
Valian
Valian

PostSubject: Re: House of Ainsley: Out-of-Character Discussion   Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:36 pm

what's so funny?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The House of Ainsley

PostSubject: Re: House of Ainsley: Out-of-Character Discussion   Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:27 am

That Corwin's such a horny old boy, for one.... Laughing

Wraith wrote:
LOL, sleep well Ainsley.

As for my POG, I choose number three from the left. The head and neck version. Looks good, thanks!
Then so it shall be. Smile

S.E.A.M.U.S wrote:
ok, so you're going in and adding the bonus XP stuff to corwins posts? or is it just going to be XP stuff instead of bonus XP stuff?

or i'm confused.
It'll be any and all XP awards, both for the usual fighty-fighty victories (like Captain Sharper and the pirates) and he non-fighty-fighty awards for ingenuity, Alignment coherance, exceptional skill use and so on (like Corwin poisoning the town well to get his mother in dutch with the townies). Smile

S.E.A.M.U.S wrote:
I condensed the posts down a little there... three posts to say i go to the bbazaar and pay the guys to do the job seemed kinda dumb

especially since now we're at post# 41 out of 247.

my main reason for wanting to hurry an post big chunks of "Devil of Tides" is once the other two start actually playing, they'll be having new fun, and we'll still be repeating the stuff we've already done... at our current rate of one post a day, we'd have devils causght up around christmas at best... that and they started their preludes as lvl 5, i still need to work my way up to it from well, "currently" two.
I expect that Corwin's jump to full current Level and abilities won't be too far off from his arrival in Brustagg, actually. Captain Sharr is still waiting in the wings with an extra surprise or two, you know.... Wink

Anyhoo, I'm hoping to finish up on all these Chapter Zero intros tonight. I have the next three days off, so let's hope that nothing else pops up to interrupt me. But first, dinner. I just woke up and I'm a bit famished.... Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile
S.E.A.M.U.S
Valian
Valian

PostSubject: Re: House of Ainsley: Out-of-Character Discussion   Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:21 am

The House of Ainsley wrote:
(like Corwin poisoning the town well to get his mother in dutch with the townies). Smile

you told! you promised never to tell anyone!

oh well they'll find out soon enough.

condensed posts again to take up less posting space. i've been rereading the devil of tides again.. man i wanna play him again
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The House of Ainsley

PostSubject: Re: House of Ainsley: Out-of-Character Discussion   Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:49 am

Wraith wrote:
Welcome back Ainsley!!
Hiya. Very Happy

S.E.A.M.U.S wrote:
you told! you promised never to tell anyone!
I lied. I was feeling a little Chaotic Evil that day. Razz

S.E.A.M.U.S wrote:
oh well they'll find out soon enough.
That they will...even if Corwin has to pilot a big huge man o' war with "OFFICIAL SPONSORS OF PIRACY AND BETRAYAL" painted in big sequined letters across the sides before the peasants get the hint. Twisted Evil

S.E.A.M.U.S wrote:
condensed posts again to take up less posting space. i've been rereading the devil of tides again.. man i wanna play him again
We're getting there, bit by bit. I just have to give Karnoz and Sylvea a chance to catch up, that's all.

GoldenDrakon wrote:
Suspect

(not that I'm axious or anything...)
I was coming back to do just that, actually. It's been a busy weekend doing housework and watching The Matrix Online die and whatnot.... Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The House of Ainsley

PostSubject: Re: House of Ainsley: Out-of-Character Discussion   Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:53 pm

Okay, that should do it for Karnoz and Sylvea. I'll have to crunch a little XP for Corwin tonight too. Man, SEAMUS' condensed posts include some of my posts too. It gets a mite confusing to read.

More tonight after sleeptime. Be good. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The House of Ainsley

PostSubject: Re: House of Ainsley: Out-of-Character Discussion   Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:26 am

Ah, I figured you had at least played that one, seeing as that's the game where the tune had come from, and you recognized it. Daggerfall was pretty neat too, for being a huge fiesta of two-dimensional sprites. I was thrilled when Battlespire came out with fully 3-D models for most of the characters, but they might as well have been made out of Lego blocks by the time the characters in Morrowind made them look well beyond obsolete. Wink

Anyhoo, apologies for the weeklong delay in getting back on Sylvea. Often it's because I'm simply AFK and busy with boring real-life stuff, but at times it's also because the House of Ainsley campaign demands plenty of ongoing preparation behind the scenes, measures which aren't immediately evident. And sometimes, I do come across minor stumbling blocks. This evening, I've been working on more of my Gametable pogs and underlays in anticipation of the three prologues in progress...Corwin's eventual arrival in the tiered port city of Feldenstadt, as well as possible future happenings for both Sylvea and Karnoz in such places as Trock Reik, Palemare, the Crown Diamond foothills, the Hlina Hrnca river and, eventually, the various roads and sea routes which end in Bardosylvania, as well as Corwin's (likely) eventual trek across the ocean floor as he returns to his cursed homeland fifty years after he was lost at sea.

(Even on those infrequent occasions when I do railroad my players, you see, I still make a point of ensuring that the rails are made of rubber, and sometimes the players do crazy things which stretch the rails or break them entirely. But I'm pretty good at improvising and Game Mastering on the fly. Ask GD over there. Wink )

On that note, I've come across a slight stumper during my pog making.

Does this young frost giant look male or female to you? Because I ripped that pog from this pic...

...in which the subject looks manly enough, in a somewhat androgynous way. But shrink the picture and add a circular frame and some transparency, and suddenly it's not so easy to tell. Bear in mind that the women among giants tend to be pretty muscular sorts too; the men are bigger and burlier, of course, but all adult frost giants have Strength scores around 29--enough to lift somebody's turnip cart and hurl it over the nearest thorp, at least--regardless of sex.

So should I title this pog as a frost giant male, a frost giant female or--saints forbid--a frost giant either-or? Because I'm honestly stumped here.

(So why am I so worried about frost giants when a single frost giant would be really bad news for all three of our player-characters combined, let alone whichever one may or may not actually run into this giant by his or her lonesome? Well, I'm the type of DM whose monsters aren't on aggressive kill-everything mode 24 hours a day. Sometimes, a frost giant just wants to mosey on down through the foothills, grab a cow and mosey back into the mountains to have lunch. Sometimes, the giant's laid out on a crag taking a nap. And sometimes, the frost giant just got torn up by something bigger and meaner, the giant's limping and bleeding all over the place and the last thing the giant wants is to get into another fight. My monsters have character, you see. It all adds to the story like that. Wink )

http://fc00.deviantart.com/fs19/f/2007/249/b/8/Frost_Giant_by_boudicca.jpg
http://fc07.deviantart.com/fs30/f/2008/109/a/1/Mythos_Frost_Giant_by_poojipoo.jpg

Giants are awesome. Dragons are overrated. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The House of Ainsley

PostSubject: Re: House of Ainsley: Out-of-Character Discussion   Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:57 pm

Ah, screw it. That's a young man of a frost giant. Male it is.

It's kind of funny; Google up some pictures of giants and you'll see a bit of a disparity. Giant men are almost always big, powerfully built and usually bearded, and they typically look fairly human; you have some ugly, monstrous-looking giants out there and some beardless giants, but they're more the exceptions than the norm. Giantesses, on the other hand, are more often pictured as being lithe and slender and willowy and supermodelish...not what you expect in a creature which has been known to tear up trees and swing them around like clubs. It's hard to find muscular giantesses on the internet, it seems.

A lot of what our Western cultures depict giants as being is derived from Norse mythology, where you had the Jotun--the frost giants--being big and towering and dangerous, yet they were still fairly human-looking (enough so that they enticed, mated with and procreated with Aesir, Vanir and mortals alike from time to time). And yet they're still burly and powerful enough to stomp all over Asgard, come Ragnarok. There have been a few other myths and legends about giants scattered around the world--including the giantkin of ancient Greece--but for the most part we owe Scandinavia for the existence of giants...or, at least, tales and legends thereof. Smile

(Trolls too. Google up some pics of the trolls from Changeling: The Dreaming. Big, burly, intelligent, blue-skinned, small-horned, large-melee-weapon-favoring and distinctly Scandinavian. That's what I think D&D trolls should be like, not these green-skinned brocolli-looking freaks with the obscenely long, pointy noses that really must put the troll's regeneration to the test when some greatsword-swinging barbarian hacks their noses off about once a round. But anyway....)

Obviously, there are some exceptions to the notion of humanlike giants; D&D's hill giants are basically big, ugly, misshapen Neanderthals, more like a larger and equally malformed ogre or Jack's brutish beanstalk giant than a Norse Jotun or a Greek Titan. And the bald, slate-skinned stone giants are another matter entirely. But they're all pretty well humanoid...no tusks, scales, elephant ears or anything like that.

Anyway, I'm rambling again, so back to the posting I go. I seem to have forgotten what point I was trying to make, anyway; maybe it'll dawn on me later. study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wraith
Lady Illusion

PostSubject: Re: House of Ainsley: Out-of-Character Discussion   Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:18 pm

Either way, its a impressive pic.

I personally would have picked the POG as female. Not the picture (cos I could see the rest of him) but the POG.

Oh btw....

I LOVE Ariean's pog. Its fantastic!!

View user profile
The House of Ainsley

PostSubject: Re: House of Ainsley: Out-of-Character Discussion   Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:07 pm

Hmmm...that frost giant does have quite the set of boobs, eh? Or maybe they're manboobs. Or just plain boobs. I dunno. Embarassed

I'm glad you like Ariean's pic! It's nice that Paint Shop Pro can do so much to a pic, seeing as that pic was an ordinary living Warcraft elf before I "undeadified" her with some applications of Magic Wand, Darken, Lighten and Desaturate, with an application of light blue (at 50% opacity) for the lips and some paintbrushing of Eyedropped hair color to restore some hairs across her face that accidentally got desaturated. And to think that people will pay ten times as much for Photoshop.... Razz

Okay, back I go to juggling the Chat Box, Corwin's post and Sylvea's new post. Tally ho! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wraith
Lady Illusion

PostSubject: Re: House of Ainsley: Out-of-Character Discussion   Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:41 pm

Shadow thought they were muscles. I thought they were boobs....

So... muscular boobs? LOL!

Could we get away with a female frost giant body builder?

View user profile
The House of Ainsley

PostSubject: Re: House of Ainsley: Out-of-Character Discussion   Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:50 pm

Yeah, that seems fair. Heck, Frosty there could be a hermaphrodite for all we know.... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The House of Ainsley

PostSubject: Re: House of Ainsley: Out-of-Character Discussion   Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:53 pm

Hmmm. But don't frost giants typically have beards? Maybe Frosty is a giant woman...giantess, whatever. Or maybe not. Arrrgh, my head is killing me now.... Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The House of Ainsley

PostSubject: Re: House of Ainsley: Out-of-Character Discussion   Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:28 pm

Or armor. Frost giants have some pretty snazzy-looking armor, judging by all the pics out there. Smile

There are some sexy, scantilly clad giantesses out there on the Net, but I hardly imagine them being the bullying raider type. Unless they use their seductive wiles to get what they want, maybe. "Huh huh...huh-huh-huh...titties! Huh-huh-huh...as big as my turnip cart! Huh huh huh...." "Hey, Earl! She's walking off with your turnip cart!" "...urrrr? Oh. Didn't notice. Huh huh. Boobies...."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: House of Ainsley: Out-of-Character Discussion   

Back to top Go down

House of Ainsley: Out-of-Character Discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 33Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 33  Next